It’s nice to meet you! I’m Jennifer McDonald!
(Photo credit: Paul D’Aigle with Imaginique Studios)
I’m a journalism major that graduated from Oakland University in 2004 with a photography minor. I’ve had the pleasure of photographing hundreds of children, babies, couples, brides, grooms and families for almost 6 years now!
Before we meet, you might like to know that:
- I worked at a local newspaper as a reporter for almost 7 years while starting my business.
- I previously worked for two separate wedding/portrait photographers from 2002-2009.
- I have a four-year-old daughter and an amazing husband. We just celebrated our ninth anniversary. They are the center of my world!
- I have a 13-year-old tabby cat name Aries. She is a one-person cat and only likes me! (I’m not sure how that happened!)
- Sometimes I believe if it weren’t for my husband, I would probably starve. Plus, he’s a great cook
- I try to be in bed by 11 p.m. I’m a bear when I don’t get enough sleep!
- I love lighthouses. It’s so much fun to travel the state and take photos of them. I hope to one day photograph them all!
- I love to read fluffy fiction. It’s entertaining and helps me relax. However, I also adore the classics (Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby are two favorites) and poetry, especially by Robert Frost.
- I may seem scatter-brained at times, but that’s only because there are too many ideas bouncing around in my head.
- I’m a list addict – if it’s not on a list, it mostly likely won’t get done.
- I adore classic rock music. My favorite bands are Led Zeppelin and Def Leppard. However, I like all kinds of music – rock just happens to be my favorite.
- I hate unfinished projects. It simply drives me crazy!
- I love a good workout! I’m a runner and recently discovered Zumba. Don’t be surprised if you see a crazy photo of me at a mud run or the Warrior Dash on my Facebook page.
- I’m obsessed with social media. My husband often tells me he’s going to throw away my phone if I don’t put it down!
- I love food. Part of the reason I like a good workout! Favorites include Halo Burger, Subway sandwiches, lemon meringue pie, Olive Garden and Doritos.
- Every session I get emotionally involved with. My photos are my babies. I consider most of my “clients” friends.
- Other things I love include, but are not limited to, vanilla perfume and chap stick, Vampire Diaries, the Twilight series and True Blood, my Jeep, Apple products, American Eagle jeans, Up North trips, karaoke bars, wine.
I’ve done commercial photography for or have been published in:
- Chrissy’s Knee High Socks – 2011, 2012 and 2013
- A Northwoods Wedding – June 4, 2013
- In Bliss Weddings - May 2013
- Bisou Bride – May 2013
- Hill City Bride- April 2013
- Woodlands Bride – June 2012
- Time to Drink Champagne – June 2012
- Love Wed Bliss – April 2012
- My Inspired Wedding – March 2012
Aphrodite’s Wedding Blog- March 2012
- Poptastic Bride – March 2012
- Be U Weddings – February 2012
My photography has been featured in several galleries and has won numerous awards. Among these awards include a first place and honorable mention in the 2008 Michigan Renaissance Festival Royal Photography Contest, a 3rd place national award in the “Tiny Tots and Big Kid Shots”- “Best Buds” category from McKenna Pro in 2010, City of Sterling Heights Artist of the Month September 2010 and most notably a 2012 and 2013 Detroit Professional Photographer Association (DPPA) Blue Ribbon Merit “Award of Excellence” in both the portrait and wedding print categories, as well as a highly sought after “Best of Show” in the 2013 wedding print category. In 2014 I received a DPPA Blue Ribbon Merit “Award of Excellence” in the senior portrait folio category as well as an “Editor’s Choice” Award from Two Bright Lights.
I was also a featured “Artist of the Month” at Michigan By The Bottle Tasting Room, Shelby Township in March and April 2013.
I am an active member of the Detroit Professional Photographers Association (DPPA), a group of dedicated professional photographers in southeast Michigan who gather monthly to network and partake in national and international quality seminars to help them grow their businesses and careers. Members of the DPPA adhere to a strict Code of Ethics to ensure that they are providing the utmost in quality to both their clients, as well as their industry.
I am also a member of the Professional Photographers of America. The Professional Photographers of America, Inc., a worldwide association, exists to assist its members in achieving their professional, artistic, and fraternal goals; to promote public awareness of the profession; and to advance the making of images in all of its disciplines as an art, a science and a visual recorder of history.